Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Picky eaters?

I have found that while implementing foods of a healthy lifestyle into my diet, I am blessed to have no picky eaters in my house. I have heard others struggle with how to eat more well-rounded healthy meals when husbands and kids just stick up their noses.

For the most part, my family eats everything I put in front of them. Natalie isn't that fond of peas, but she eats them without a word. Serena has learned that you can either eat it or be hungry, and she doesn't like to be hungry. I don't make my kids "clean their plates", but then again, I don't have to. They enjoy eating and I usually have to cut them off.

You may ask me, "oh, wise one, how do you do it?" Well, it started very early when they were starting solid foods. We just put it in front of them. Plain and simple. Don't make a big deal out of it. Just simply place food on their plates with the expectation that they will eat it. No cajoling, no bribing, no threatening, etc... They may try it once and not like it, but guess what? They will have to try it again at some point! Food is not a reward or a punishment. It is to sustain and enjoy, but I refused to have power struggles over it from the day they started to pick up their own spoons. Their tails do not wag this dog!! Well, at least not in this area......:)

Not eating what is prepared for you means you go to bed hungry. While the rest of us enjoy a bowl of popcorn or ice cream, you will not. My pediatrician assured me early on that kids will eat when they're hungry. It's true, they do! They will thank you for your determination one day, and so will their spouses who will cook for them one day. I feel fairly confident that when they visit a friend's house or go to a family gathering that they will eat what is prepared and not complain. That is a huge no-no. We do not say "yuck" or things really get ugly. I don't force them to try everything there, but they have to eat respectfully or ELSE.

It is perfectly okay if the taste buds are a little deformed and something perfectly wonderful to me is not for them, however, I have only to look to my own childhood to understand this.
I absolutely hated meat and potatoes as a kid. I liked most everything else. I would eat these things but not with much pleasure. As time went on, I began to like them and even love them. Why? Because my mom was cooking for seven. You didn't say yuck at the table, you didn't complain, and she was NOT a short order cook. Neither am I.

I feel really sorry for kids who come here to visit the girls. I used to be the "cool mom" who played with them, danced with them, and always had fun stuff to do. I'm not so cool with their fussy eating habits. I try to be patient and understanding, but it's annoying, I have to be honest. They don't like wheat bread, they don't eat crunchy peanut butter, they won't eat vegetables, they don't like whatever. I finally discovered that all of their friends will eat one thing. Hot dogs. Yikes. Guess what? Hot dogs are gross and unhealthy. No wonder they like them so much.

Anyway, no matter what age your child (or spouse) is , it is never too late to round out their palates. Serve hot foods hot and cold foods cold, use cheese whenever possible, and a little bit of butter never hurts. Be positive when presenting new items, and let them go hungry if they refuse to eat what you've prepared. They need to respect the cook. Dads can be a great influence here as well when they thank mom for the wonderful meal she made for them and he eats it happily as well. Some dads may need to grow up a little too. Come on, not eating your veggies is really for babies, now isn't it?? Pass along the quality of healthy eating to the next generation and it will thank you!

Oh, I've got all your husbands mad at me now. Oh well, send them over for dinner sometime. We'll have hot dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...