Monday, January 12, 2009

A Gift From The Heart

Every Christmas I make a homemade gift for Steve. This is due in part because we no longer buy gifts for each other. We fill each other's stockings and that has been really fun. Instead, we usually take a trip together, which we did in October, and call that a gift.
I still like to give him something to open (as he does for me too, sneaky guy), and because of the uncertainty of his job security, I had the perfect plan.
Back on one of our snow days, I sat at the kitchen table, watching the snow coming down. I had my Bible open, and kept coming across such great verses that I started writing them down. Furiously, I covered sheet after sheet, scribbling and "short-handing" just to get them down. It was then that I decided what I would do with the verses.
I decided to make Steve a daily verse frame in which he could display a verse each week or day at work. I didn't have any extra money, so printing these started to become a real hassle. I had been really sick over the weekend before Christmas, so by the time I started putting his gift together, I was tired and worn out! I sat at the computer, trying to get them to print out right. They kept printing out navy blue and pink because I was using almost empty cartridges. I was becoming more and more frustrated, knowing this was the only gift I was able to give him, and I wanted it to be perfect. I messed around with it enough to get most of the verses to print out, and I went ahead, cutting them out and mounting them on decorative paper. I cut them all to fit my 3 x 5 frame, which I stole from the hallway, and it came together nicely. I was surprised at how nice it turned out, despite all of my challenges. I knew Steve would love it.
Well, he did. The verse I put in the frame was Jeremiah 29:11, one of our favorites, and I inserted his name in it. Steve thought that was pretty cool.
He loves his daily verses and it helps get him through tough days at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...