Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Shroom Boom

Blogging is helping me stay sane, so bear with my frequent posts and crazy topics, please!  I will feel so much peace when I finally have my neurologist appointment at the end of the month. I have so many questions! 
So on to my crazy topic of the day. This is my jetted tub. And in my jetted tub are three plastic bags full of boiled straw and mushroom spawn. Doesn't that just sound awful? Well, if you love oyster mushrooms, it's not awful at all! We put the bags in the tub, then run a small space heater in our bathroom to encourage the spawn to turn into mycelium, which will eventually turn into edible oyster mushrooms. Hubby has made a hobby out of growing several varieties of mushrooms, including shiitake, my favorite! He has also learned how to identify edible mushrooms in the wild. More common than you'd think. We do have the famous morels around here "somewhere", but as any mushroomer will tell you, no one gives up their secret spots! :) 
So, there you have it. We grow mushrooms in our bathtub. So...guess you don't want to hang out with us anymore, right? :) 

1 comment:

Angela said...

So enjoy your frequent posts and topic choices. I just learned something new about you today - you grow mushrooms. So it's all good.

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...