Sunday, April 13, 2014

Trio

This was Rena's (in middle, on tenor) first time participating in Solo & Ensemble. They didn't get a lot of good practice time since the girls are in different grades and don't have band class together. So, although they did okay, more practice time would have made it great! Regardless, it was a joy to attend and to watch band students excel and be passionate about music! 
The judge apparently did not have his wheaties that morning and was quite harsh with his judging. Remember, these are junior high students, many of them first time performers. Our girls received the lowest rating of a 3. They were disappointed, but their band director stood behind them and told them they deserved a 2! The judge gave out many 2's and even more 3's. He dished out criticism to the 2 girls in Serena's group, but said nothing to her. No praise. No critiques. So, not what we were hoping for, but still a good learning experience. 
She will be attending a specialty camp at CMU this summer for sax players. I am so excited to see her develop. She's really good! :) spoken like a mama, I know. I generally don't like to boast about my girls, because it annoys people, but it is okay to be proud and praise them to them directly, so I do! The world will see what they can do. I won't need to advertise! ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...