Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Weighty Matters

Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food." Genesis 1:29

"For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit." Romans 14:17

But food does not bring us near to God;we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do." 1Corinthians 8:8

If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple. 1Corinthians 3:17

I am reading yet another book on weight control.....yawn, I know. However, I am searching for the reason I don't take care of my temple. This one is spiritually based. No points to count, no meetings to attend, no weird diets of all-green foods or no carbohydrates. Those are ways to treat the symptoms, but I'm looking for the cause. I'm looking for a lifetime lifestyle change. Not just a way to drop an easy 20. I've been successful in losing weight in the past, however, at some point, I gain most of it back. I'm tired of failing!!
I don't need willpower. I just need to care about myself. See why I'm reading the book?
Many of us girls spend time discussing our weight, size, diet plan, etc...but we rarely open up about what's in our hearts and minds behind the food issues we have. I'm willing to share mine with anyone who wants to share theirs. Food is too much of a comfort in our lives, and we need to shift that focus to God and the comfort he gives us. He loves us just the way we are, but he wants what's best for our temples. It's where he resides! I want to be healthy and active, energetic and strong! I may never be the bony girl I used to be, and that's okay, but I want to know I'm doing something that will enrich my life, and provide a positive example for my growing girls. We focus on health and staying active, not what we weigh.
So, this is my new journey and I will keep you posted as to what I learn from this book. If you struggle with your weight or lack of motivation, share your thoughts with me.

Proverbs 27:17...As iron sharpens iron, so one man (or woman) sharpens another.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Jami, you know how I struggle with the same stuff when it comes to my weight and using food for comfort! I wish I had answers for you but I don't. I am attending Weight Watchers right now and it seems to be going okay. I just don't know what else to do...

Love your fluffy friend!
J

Princess, Daughter of the King said...

Thanks Jami!
I'm planning on posting about weight too! It's something to strive for daily!
Be blessed!
Love you!

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...