Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Goodbye Red-Face, Hello Funny

As a kid, I was easily embarrassed. I was overly self-conscious, which was probably the main cause of the whole problem to begin with. As I grew up, I began to overcome it, and became more sensitive to others' plights of embarrassment. I noticed I became sort of a warrior about it, determined to help others mask their whoops while smiling. I will wear toilet paper on my shoe just for you, you can count on that! :)

We were at a wedding of one of my dad's cousins about 16 years ago or so, and I was meeting a lot of people I was related to, which is not one of my favorite things anyway. I had finally escaped to my seat when dad dragged yet another cousin over to meet me. He was several years older, dark-skinned (where did he get that?), and friendly. However, as he reached across the table to shake my hand, he tipped over his drink and his face went red. Without missing a beat, I tipped my drink over on purpose and said, "It's so nice to meet you too. I think we just started a tradition." He laughed, as did everyone else who saw me do such a gauche thing at someone's wedding! I've warned you about my impulsiveness before. That's just ONE example!

While it's not funny when people fall, but if they can laugh about it, so should we. It really breaks the tension. I have embarrassed myself so many times by calling someone by the wrong name, or thinking they were someone else (darn lighting!), or...well, we just won't go there. I get a lot of weird looks when someone accidentally calls me "Janie" or "Jeannie" or whatever, and I respond by calling them "George" or "Bob" just for fun. It leaves them wondering, "who made the mistake? Her or me?"

Have a little fun with your slip-ups. Make the most of your embarrassing moments. It may be the only attention you get in this life! Keep it light and make it fun....life is short!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...