Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Walking Gives You Blisters

Today I posted about staying positive. In fact, I read a section in my book about staying calm when you really want to blow a fuse. Just read it today, and yet when things started unraveling for me today, I did not stay calm! It just seemed like it was one thing after another, testing my patience at every turn. It's not that these things were horrible things, but just annoying things that get under your skin. You've been there. You're already having a bad day, and someone chooses to pick on you. This didn't happen to me, but it's the same feeling.

After my outburst (done alone), my prayer went something like this: God, I've had it! I am sooo mad! I can't believe this! You're gonna have to get me through this. I'm just feeling like such a brat! I am feeling dangerous and you have to fix me! I can't stop it. You have to step in and make me better! Oooh, I am just so mad!

Feeling "dangerous"? What was I thinking? I laugh about that now. I'm such a writer!

Now, if I told you what I was mad about, you would think I was ridiculous! Let's just say I need a little break from my kids. Let's just say by the fourth trip into school today, I had nearly lost my mind. Let's just imagine I had no gas in my van and a million things to do at home. It was one of those days! And yet, I knew to pray even though I was throwing a hissy fit! When I finally calmed down, I apologized to God for my outburst and my lack of self-control. It didn't affect anyone else directly, but had I carried that attitude around, someone would surely have been on the wrong end of it, and I would be sick about it, probably for days! Not a good use of anyone's time, in my opinion.

Ironically, I had just finished reading about how at some point in her career,Joyce had a 4 day hissy fit, in which everyone was driving her nuts and nothing was going right. Something went through me when I read it. I thought to myself, "this is something I deal with too." Little did I know, I'd get my first test today.

Walking with the Lord is not easy. Whenever you want to do things a certain way, there will be something that comes along to trip you up. It could be a test, it could be an attack, it could be something we're not doing right in ourselves. Regardless, when you start walking your faith, expect blisters. It's a long walk, a tough walk, and sometimes doing the right thing is painful. I look at it this way, I've never gotten blisters for no good reason. It's always been the result of hard work or perseverance!

I know I will get irritated again. Probably in the next 10 minutes, as that is just how life is. My intention is to remain calm and trust God to help me deal with those annoyances. I will post more about that chapter tomorrow, as I will certainly be re-reading it! I am already planning on reading the book from start to finish all over again. I need all the help I can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words Matter. Choose them carefully.

Fire Challenge #1 Awakening

  I'm jumping back in again this week because I'm doing a new thing! I've begun a series of "fire challenges" created ...